Monday, November 25, 2013

Mt. Herman Skiing - November 23rd

 After a great day skiing on Friday 4 friends and I headed back to Mt. Herman in search of some more powder. We again followed the skin track up the bowl and prepared to drop in on the NW side. The snow was almost as good as the day before and mine and Miles tracks were still the only ones down the slope. I found a nice cliff and dropped first. After, each person was able to find their own line and get some fresh tracks.
Me dropping in. Photo Jeff Schomaker

 We then decided to tour up to the area area seen in the photo as there were no tracks on any of the sub peaks or chutes. The 5 of us split in to 2 groups and we all found some more untracked lines. Once we all regrouped in the valley bottom Jeff Schomaker and I decided to try and find a couloir we had seen earlier in the morning. We toured up a steep slope and then contoured around the peak to where we thought the couloir entrance would be. As luck would have it we ended up right where we wanted. From the top of the couloir it looked far more intimidating then it did from below. We talked about how we wanted to ski it and I prepared to drop.
 I made 2 turns above the couloir proper and then felt much better as I was now able to see clearly down the entire line. At this point I pointed it through the couloir and then as I exited arced some big GS turns to slow down. The snow was slightly more consolidated then I expected and skied faster. I then watched Jeff rip the line in style!

The couloir is to the left of the large rocky peak. The other areas we skied are to the right.

 We then all regrouped, toured back to the top for lunch, and then descended back to the car with variable snow conditions. Another awesome November day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment